Independent Visitor (Reg44) Resources
1: How to choose an Independent Visitor
In relation to Regulation 44, The Guide to the Children’s Homes Quality Standards states:
“The registered provider should also ensure that the independent person they appoint has the skills and understanding necessary to:
The skills, experience and professional background of the independent person, for example in undertaking work of a similar nature, will also be a relevant factor in assessing their ability to reach a rigorous and impartial judgment.”
12 Point Checklist for selecting an Independent Visitor
- 1Have they been through a safe recruitment process that requires DBS, references, employment history and insurance checks?
- 2Have they had training in undertaking Regulation 44 visits?
- 3Do they have access to regular ongoing training and development?
- 4Are they familiar with the current legislation, regulations relating to children and children’s homes and the SCCIF?
- 5Do they understand attachment, resilience and trauma informed practice?
- 6Can they evidence that there is no conflict?
- 7Can they communicate well with managers, staff and a diverse range of professionals?
- 8Are they able to engage with, and seek the views of children including those who may have limited communication?
- 9Do they have excellent report writing skills that demonstrate the ability to be analytical, rigorous and objective?
- 10Are they available to undertake visits on weekends, early mornings and evenings?
- 11Is their work supervised and quality assured by an experienced professional?
- 12Are there effective back up arrangements in place if they are ill or unavailable?
How to get the best out of your Independent Monthly Visits (Regulation 44)
Download our free ‘ How to get the best out of your Regulation 44 Visits’ guide here (enter name and email and guidance automatically emailed)